Treatments a Therapist Chevy Chase MD Trusts Offers
If you are looking for a therapist Chevy Chase MD residents recommend, contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates. Each Chevy Chase MD therapist in our office is specially trained and truly understands that reaching out for help when you are struggling with sensitive personal or relationship problems can be difficult. We are here to support you.
Individual therapy is a collaboration between the client and the therapist Chevy Chase MD offers, with the goal of bringing change and improvements to the client’s quality of life. There are many issues that individual therapy can help a client deal with, including:
· Anxiety and/or depression
· Difficult life transitions
· Relationship issues, including dealing with the end of a relationship
· Personal growth
· Preparation for family or couples counseling
It is not uncommon for couples to run into issues in their relationship that they are unable to resolve. A therapist Chevy Chase MD clients rely on can assist couples in overcoming hurdles that are putting a strain on the relationship. Issues such as communication, trust, intimacy, infidelity, and even parenting disputes can all be addressed in couples counseling.
A therapist Chevy Chase MD provides can also be a good resource for premarital counseling. Engaged couples may benefit by attending sessions where they can discuss what their expectations of the marriage are, as well as issues such as different personal values or differences of opinion.
When a family goes through a traumatic event or is dealing with difficult problems, the stress of these events can cause strained relationships within the family. Issues such as substance abuse, divorce, illness, and death of a loved one are all examples of events that may affect all members of the family.
Family counseling is not just for immediate members of a family, like parents and children. Extended family members, such as siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and even ex-partners may all be involved in working together to help the family heal. Although the initial session may involve all family members, it is common for the participants to vary in ongoing sessions, based on the issues that come up and the dynamics of those issues.
Medical Family Therapy
Medical family therapy is for anyone – individuals, couples, and families – who is facing acute or chronic medical or health-related stressors. This therapy can be especially beneficial to those who are dealing with hereditary cancer syndromes and other genetic conditions. Medical family therapy can also be helpful for couples who are facing reproductive decision-making while dealing with hereditary health risks.
When you think of the methods most people use for coping with depression, odds are that medication is at the forefront, more so than therapy. Antidepressants are widely used and can help alleviate your symptoms, but you should also know that there’s no one-size-fits-all approach to dealing with depression. If you think therapy might be better suited to your experience with depression, it’s worth noting that there are multiple kinds of therapy that could help you.
Our practice focuses on getting to the heart of our clients’ cases of depression and giving them the tools to deal with its causes and everything they might encounter in life. Scheduling an appointment with one of our licensed therapists could be what you need to start feeling like yourself again.
How a Chevy Chase MD Therapist Can Help with Depression
Though depression is one of the most common mental health problems for which people seek help and is highly treatable, there, unfortunately, remains stigma surrounding it. This makes it difficult for many people to be open about what they need. But when you decide to go to therapy for depression, you are automatically in an environment of trust and vulnerability. Being transparent about your struggles with a therapist who has the tools to help can empower you to take steps toward healing.
At Lindsey Hoskins & Associates, each therapist has diversified approaches to our clients’ cases of depression. You will likely encounter one of these kinds of therapy when you schedule an appointment with us:
- Interpersonal therapy. This kind of therapy focuses on problems you may be having in your personal relationships, and what kinds of skills you can develop to better face those problems. It is based on the concept that depression is significantly connected to relationship issues and helps you hone in on those patterns that not only contribute to those issues, but also that make you more susceptible to depression. When you learn to recognize the harmful patterns through interpersonal therapy, you can start to take steps toward changing them, and finding new ways of relating to other people.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy. A combination of cognitive and behavioral approaches, as its name suggests, this kind of therapy assumes that how we think and feel are inextricable from how we behave. Its aim is to teach you that, while you cannot necessarily control your environments or events in your life, you do have control over the way you think about them. Cognitive-behavioral therapy can address the negative kinds of thought patterns that tend to contribute to depression and help you start to develop new, healthier thought patterns.
- Psychodynamic therapy. This kind of therapy is based on the idea that depression often arises because of unresolved conflicts, which are usually unconscious and may have started in one’s childhood. By becoming more aware of your full range of emotions, and overall more self-aware, psychodynamic therapy can help you start to come to terms with what you’re feeling and start to look at them differently.
Let a Therapist in Chevy Chase MD Help You
If you believe that you or your family may benefit from therapy, there is no reason to hesitate to reach out. The professional therapists at Lindsey Hoskins & Associates offer individual therapy, couples and family counseling, medical family therapy, and premarital counseling.
If you would like to discuss your situation with a dedicated therapist Chevy Chase MD clients recommend, contact us to schedule an appointment with one of our licensed therapists today.