Couples Therapy Silver Spring MD
If you and your significant other are having problems, you may want to consider couples therapy Silver Spring MD families trust. At Lindsey Hoskins & Associates, we understand that even the strongest relationships face difficulties at times and want to provide our help. We offer weekend and evening appointments to accommodate busy schedules.
Common Reasons Why Couples Fight
Relationships are not always easy. Arguments are bound to happen at some point. However, if the arguments involve the same issues over and over, couples therapy in Silver Spring MD may be necessary to resolve them. Let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons why couples fight:
- No Physical Intimacy: Physical intimacy issues are often discussed during couples therapy sessions that Silver Spring MD locals turn to for help. Whether it’s due to hormonal changes or loss of attraction, little to no physical intimacy can negatively affect a relationship.
- Finances: Couples who live together may be more likely to fight about finances. Maybe one partner likes to spend a lot while the other partner likes to save every dime. Differences in financial goals can put a serious strain on a relationship.
- Meddling In-laws: If an in-law is heavily involved in a couple’s relationship, it can be a problem. Meddling in-laws are a common topic discussed during couples therapy sessions Silver Spring MD residents count on. One partner may not like that a family member is so involved in the relationship and wants him or her to keep his or her distance.
- Infidelity: If one partner cheats on the other, it can create a rift in the relationship. The person who was cheated on usually feels hurt and betrayed and may not trust his or her partner anymore. Although infidelity can severely damage a relationship, it is possible to recover from it after intense couples therapy offered in Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Timing: Many couples argue about major milestones in their relationships, such as when to move in together or when to get married. If two partners are on different timelines, it can lead to problems in the relationship.
Scheduling a Consultation with a Couples Therapist
If you find yourself constantly arguing with your partner, it may be time to explore Silver Spring MD couples therapy. A trained couples therapist can sit down with you and your significant other in a private and comfortable setting and help you get to the bottom of your issues. One of our therapists may ask you some questions in order to find out more about your relationship. Here are some examples of questions your couples therapist may ask:
- Why are you here?
- How often do you fight?
- How do you communicate with one another?
- Are you two intimate with each other?
- What is the biggest challenge in your relationship?
- What are you hoping to gain from counseling?
When you are in couples therapy that Silver Spring MD locals depend on, be sure to answer each question honestly and with as much detail as possible.
If you are looking for couples therapy in Silver Spring MD, contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates at 240-752-7650.
Information and Misconceptions About Couples Counseling
Even after both partners in a relationship agree to Silver Spring MD couples therapy, there is likely to still be apprehension about what comes next. There are misconceptions about therapy that may prevent a couple from getting the help they need. For couples therapy, Lindsey Hoskins & Associates can provide you with experienced and professional clinicians dedicated to helping couples build their understanding of each other. Here we have answered a few questions about Silver Spring MD couples therapy, in hopes that those in a relationship who need support aren’t afraid to seek it out due to fear of the unknown:
Q: What should a couple expect during the initial session?
A: Treatment commonly begins with the counselor asking about the couple’s history and what has brought them to therapy. The first couple sessions are about the therapist getting to know the couple better and hearing about their current struggles. During the early stages of couples therapy in Silver Spring MD, your therapist may inquire about what you both need in the relationship and what you hope to get out of having sessions together.
Q: What kinds of topics may be covered in couples therapy counseling?
A: Since every couple is different, the topics they may need to talk about can vary. Your chosen therapist can get to know both partners on an individual level, as well as how they are in the relationship together. However, there are common challenges and struggles that tend to be talked about during couples therapy sessions in Silver Spring MD, including:
- Loss of intimacy
- Sexual issues
- Power dynamics
- Social justice issues
- Recurring fights
- Infidelity or broken trust
Q: What skills may we both walk away with after a therapy session?
A: Couples that are each committed to working through road bumps in their relationship, are likely to learn something about themselves and their partner along the way. A couples counselor can help both partners improve upon themselves on an individual level, so they can show up more fully in their relationship too. Skills that each partner may learn and use long-term during Silver Spring MD couples therapy can include:
- Learning when they are triggered and not to calm themselves down before engaging with their partner in a heated discussion or argument
- Learning how to work towards a more positive outcome from disagreements
- Identifying negative cycles in their relationship and how each partner may be contributing to these patterns
- Learning how to communicate in a way that encourages vulnerability and connection
- Learning about the strengths of their relationship and how this can motivate the couple into growth and transformation
Q: What are misconceptions about Silver Spring MD couples therapy?
A: There are plenty of misconceptions that people have about what a couples counseling session will be like. Many couples assume that they’ll be walking into an environment where they will be continually blamed and targeted during the conversation by their partner and perhaps even the therapist too. But, it is crucial to understand that a couples therapist is not there to place blame or judge. Instead, the therapist is to guide the conversations in such a way that the couple can reach a place of understanding, healthy communication, and growth with each other.
Engaging in couples therapy in the Silver Spring MD area can provide you and your partner with a number of benefits. While in some cases it may be difficult for you and your partner to make the decision to seek therapy, doing so can offer the both of you with a number of benefits. For further questions, or to schedule a couples therapy session at our Silver Spring MD office, contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates today.