Couples Counseling DC
Lindsey Hoskins & Associates offers couples counseling in DC. If you and your spouse are not seeing eye to eye on certain issues, are arguing frequently, unable to communicate, or are dealing with accusations or discovery of an affair, our Washington DC couples counselors are standing by and ready to listen to what you have to say.
All relationships will almost certainly experience challenges at one point or another, but when these challenges feel as if they’ve reached a breaking point, couples counseling in Washington DC may be the solution.
Our trained and certified counselors have provided couples with the tools and techniques needed to work through difficult times. If you or your partner are considering couples counseling, but are not feeling 100% about making this decision, we would like to invite you for an introductory consultation with one of our counselors. During this time you will have the opportunity to discuss your concerns, ask questions, and get a feel for how the counselor may be able to work with you.
What Is Couples Counseling in Washington DC?
At Lindsey Hoskins & Associates, couples counseling from our Washington DC counselors and therapists have the necessary education and training needed to help both couples and individuals. It is our goal to assist you and your partner in resolving conflict, improving communication, and bettering the quality of your relationship. Although every couples’ situation is different, couples counseling in Washington DC may seek to:
- Identify the core issues in the relationship
- Find ways to resolve a particular problem
- Focus on finding solutions that encourage continued positive change
- Promote healing, acceptance, and understanding
Your couples counselor from Lindsey Hoskins & Associates will be overseeing the sessions, but will not be judging either of you. Rather, your counselor will be able to offer you insight, and an unbiased perspective. Together you can learn techniques and apply them in your daily life. Not only can this help maintain healthier communication efforts, but it can also be beneficial in your individual lives.
Who Can Benefit from Couples Couples Counseling in DC?
DC couples counseling sessions are not only for married people or those who are going through a turbulent time. Rather, couples counseling sessions can be applied to a broad range of relationships.
- Married couples
- Legal partners
- Same-sex couples
- Engaged couples
- Dating couples
- Long term commitments
- Interracial couples
- Mixed-religion couples
- Young or old couples
The Most Common Areas of Concern in Couples Counseling Sessions
When you attend couples counseling in Washington DC, you will have the opportunity to discuss any topic of your choice. In general, couples will choose topics that are of most concern; such as:
- Inability to communicate
- Parenting indifferences
- Financial strain
- Health issues
- Sexual problems
- Substance abuse
- Emotional issues
- Family conflicts
Couples counseling from a Washington DC counselor can help partners struggling with any aspect of their relationship. The clinicians at Lindsey Hoskins & Associates have worked extensively with people in all different types of couple relationships, and couples at all different stages. In our experience, it’s a type of therapy that is most effective when both partners participate willingly, fully and enthusiastically.
For Whom Is Couples Counseling Appropriate?
- Dating couples
- Couples contemplating or planning for marriage
- Same-sex couples
- Married couples
- Separated or divorcing couples
What Issues Might They Need to Address?
- Improving communication, or developing non-abusive forms of communication
- Strengthening trust
- Increasing intimacy
- Preparing for cohabitation or marriage
- Moving past an affair or other transgression
- Deciding whether to continue a relationship
- Parenting skills
During couples counseling at our Washington DC practice, it is common to include some individual sessions with each partner so each may focus on his or her own processes and needs within the couple’s relationship. However, there may be times when one or both partners may wish to pursue individual therapy to work on personal issues unrelated to the partner relationship. In this case, our clinicians would provide you with a referral to an individual therapist while we continue couples counseling together.
Many couples contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates looking to access couples counseling in the Washington DC area. Often, couples are seeking advice regarding couples counseling and whether or not these sessions may be right for them. The following are some of the most commonly asked questions.
Why Does Lindsey Hoskins & Associates Provide Couples Counseling to Washington DC-Area Residents?
As clinicians, we can say that we enjoy working with couples because we are committed to helping them to identify and work through the challenges that they may be facing. We believe the fundamental needs of a relationship include:
- To feel close to your partner – both physically and emotionally
- To feel that you matter to one another
- To feel assurance from one another, especially when there is an argument
- To feel unsettled if there is any emotional disconnection
- To feel confident with one another
If you believe some or all of these needs are not being met in a relationship, couples counseling sessions from a Washington DC therapist may be right for you.
What can We Expect From Couples Counseling?
In general, couples counseling sessions are 60 minutes long; however, if everyone’s schedule allows for it, the sessions may be longer. While the make up of sessions can vary based on the couple’s specific needs, in general, sessions may include your clinician meeting with one or both of you. During the first session, you, your spouse, and your counselor will sit down together and talk about your background information and even your goals. The subsequent Washington DC couples counseling sessions may involve your counselor meeting with each partner individually. Following individual sessions, you and your spouse may meet again and begin to identify patterns and track interactions. Bear in mind that it is certainly possible that your counselor will request to hold an individual session with one or both of you if issues come up that may be better addressed separately.
Can a Person Seek Individual Counseling and Couples Counseling from the Same Therapist in Washington DC?
Generally, no. If you are currently seeing a couples counselor you would not be able to seek individual treatment from the same counselor. However, the clinician you are currently seeing for couples counseling in our Washington DC office will be able to refer you to an individual counselor.
What Happens if My Spouse Stops Coming to Therapy?
In the event that couples counseling sessions at our Washington DC office are terminated, and only one of you would like to continue, a counselor can do so as long as both of you are aware of the new arrangement. In the event that your spouse wishes to resume couples counseling in the future, a different counselor may be recommended.
Can We Bring Our Child to Couples Counseling?
We would advise against bringing a child to your couples counseling sessions in our Washington DC office. This is a time that invites everyone to tune into what is going on, and a child may be a distraction. If the child is older, it is certainly possible for him or her to listen in on the conversation, making it difficult to open up.
Would you like to know more about couples counseling? If so, please contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates for Couples Counseling Washington DC couples can trust.
Schedule an appointment online for couples counseling with one of our clinicians or call our office today.
Are You Ready to Improve Your Relationship?
Couples counseling is a practical approach that can give you and your partner the tools and skills you need to have a successful, enjoyable relationship. We would like to help you tackle your issues together, and enable you to realize that it is possible to thrive – together. To schedule an initial appointment, or to learn more about couples counseling Washington DC families recommend, please call Lindsey Hoskins & Associates.
Common Myths About Couples Counseling
If you and your significant other have been struggling in your relationship, you may have considered Washington DC couples counseling. Speaking to a skilled clinician about your relationship woes may be able to help you get past them and form a stronger bond with your partner. However, before you schedule your first couples counseling sessions in Washington DC, it’s important to be aware of some of the most common myths surrounding couples therapy.
- Couples Therapy Is Guaranteed to Fix All of Our Issues: Couples therapy is successful for many couples. However, that doesn’t mean that it’s some miracle fix. In order for couples counseling in Washington DC to work, both partners must be completely committed to it. If you or your partner are not willing to listen to the couple counselor’s advice and don’t make an effort to change, therapy likely isn’t going to work.
- Couples Therapy Takes Forever: One of the most common misconceptions regarding couples counseling Washington DC couples rely on, is that it takes years and years. If you and your partner have gone through a lot of trauma, therapy can take a little longer, but it won’t take forever. If you and your partner don’t have trauma and are just experiencing everyday relationship issues, it may take several sessions to get to the bottom of things.
- Couples Counselors Choose Sides: A common reason many people avoid Washington DC couples counseling is because they believe that counselors take sides. This just isn’t true. A reputable couples counselor absolutely won’t take sides and will listen to each person equally. He or she will look at the situation objectively and try to help both people.
- Couples Therapy Is for the Weak: Some people avoid Washington DC area couples counseling because they view it as a sign of weakness. They think that going to therapy will make people look at them as some kind of failure. However, seeking couples counseling in the Washington DC area isn’t weak at all. It’s actually one of the smartest moves you can make. If you realize that your relationship is struggling, make the decision to get help, you’re making a wise decision.
- It’s Not Possible to Fix Something That’s Been Broken for So Long: If you and your significant other have experienced issues for a while, you might think that your situation is too far gone and that nothing can fix it. However, clinicians providing Washington DC couples counseling are specially trained to help couples work through old injures and become happy again.
- A Stranger Can’t Help Us: The truth is that it’s actually easier to open up to someone you don’t know. A couples counselor will remain impartial the entire time, so you can talk about your feelings without feeling judged.
Signs You May Need Couples Counseling
Admitting that you and your significant other need couples counseling in DC may be difficult at first. However, it may be the best thing for your relationship. Here are a few signs you may need couples counseling.
- You Keep Secrets From One Another: Although you and your partner can have privacy, you shouldn’t keep big secrets from each other. If you keep secrets about who you spend time with or where you go, for example, it can break the trust in your relationship.
- There’s No Physical Intimacy Anymore: It’s not abnormal for couples to have less frequent sex as their relationship progresses. However, if you can’t remember the last time you and your partner had sex, it’s a cause for concern. Whether you’ve stopped having sex due to a loss of attraction or boredom, it is important to seek counseling.
- You Argue Constantly: Most couples have a disagreement from time to time. However, if you and your significant other can’t seem to have a conversation without arguing, it may be time to get professional health. It’s definitely not healthy to argue all the time. A therapist can show you two how to communicate more effectively and diffuse arguments.
- You Want Different Things Out of the Relationship: It can become a tricky situation if you and your partner don’t want the same things out of your relationship. For example, you may want to have kids while your partner may not. Couples counseling in DC can help you determine if your goals are compatible or not.
- You or Your Partner Had an Affair: Infidelity can truly do a number on a relationship. Whether it’s due to lack of physical intimacy or revenge, having an affair means there’s something seriously wrong in your relationship. If you or your significant other had an affair, it is a good idea to seek couples counseling. A counselor can help the two of you understand why the affair happened in the first place and how to move forward.
- You and Your Partner Are About to Have a Big Change: If you and your significant other are going to hit a big milestone soon, like moving in together or getting engaged, it is a good idea to talk to a couples counselor. He or she can help you understand what to expect and how to prepare for the change.
Washington DC couples counseling can provide many benefits. If you and your partner are struggling in your relationship, schedule a consultation with a skilled couples counselor from Lindsey Hoskins & Associates.
Contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates for Couples Counseling DC couples can trust.
Schedule an appointment online for couples counseling with one of our clinicians or call 240-752-7650.