You should not listen to podcasts, unless you want to feel happier, more educated and more entertained
I cannot believe we are almost at the end of the year …. Are you an ‘intentions or resolutions’ person? I do believe in setting goals– not only new ones but also “continuation goals.” Basically, these are things that are working really well in our lives and we will continue doing them. It is empowering to see what is good in our lives. One of the things that worked really well for me was to make time for podcasts. They can inspire, educate, and make us laugh. Okay, I confess. I have become a podcast addict. I truly love several podcasts, especially crime and self help/therapy genres.
So here are my favorite podcasts and why I think they are good for us:
- Dear Sugar: there is always a different way to see an issue. Hope and a different perspective is gold! This show is based on a New York Times section, a blog, and a book. Please note that the show has ended, but old episodes are still available for download. It is full of wisdom.
- Sword and Scale and Case File true Crime — no matter what you are going through, there is always a good crime show to distract you. These are not for the faint of heart, but if you like Law and Order shows, you will like these.
- Feeling Good podcast — being proactive and changing thoughts makes us happier.
- Healing Broken Trust — when you have hurt someone or they have hurt you, it is okay to work hard and you may save your relationship. Forget your assumptions about infidelity and learn something new.
- Uncover: Escaping NXIVM — this podcast teaches us the dangers of peer pressure and wanting to feel accepted at all costs. Choosing to be happy is to choose to be your own person.
- Therapist Uncensored — Free Therapy!
- Other People’s Problems — Real therapy sessions can be inspiring and helpful. This is an ideal show if you have never been to therapy and wonder what can happen during therapy.
- Armchair Expert — Why? Dax Shepard is one funny guy and his guests are super knowledgeable.
- Criminal — the stories here are varied and fascinating… I love all of them, but it may be that I listen to this podcast just to hear the voice of Phoebe. Give a listen and email me how peaceful you feel after listening to her podcast voice.
- Dr. Death, Dirty John, S-Town and Serial are some of my favorite podcasts for being extremely well done and encouraging some unhealthy behaviors (e.g. my bingeing on podcasts). They are entertaining and educating.
Give these a listen and let me know what you think!
When she’s not listening to podcasts, Sabrina Bowen provides couple, family, and individual therapy in our downtown Bethesda office. Call or email today to set up your first appointment or a complimentary telephone consultation with Sabrina!