Child Custody Lawyer
We don’t always see a divorce coming. Many people are completely overwhelmed when they’re suddenly faced with a divorce, and the element of surprise can affect their next moves. This desperation can lead to some unwise decisions, and can seriously cloud your judgment when it’s time to face the facts.
As a child custody lawyer Kansas City, KS residents prefer, such as our friends at the Law Office of Daniel E. Stuart, P.A. can explain, there are some warning signs that can help you prepare for the worst. Sometimes you can notice the signs and turn your marriage around, and sometimes things are just too far gone. But whatever the case, it pays to pay attention – and it pays to know what you should do next.
- Stonewalling. Nobody likes to argue all the time, but if you and your spouse are completely cut off from each other, it can be a warning sign that your marriage is headed for more trouble. Communication is important, and without proper communication you and your spouse are completely in the dark about each others’ wants and needs. It may be painful to have certain conversations, but they need to be had if you want to maintain effective communication.
- Considering an Affair. This should go without saying, but if you’re married and want to see other people instead, it’s not a good sign. When you and your spouse have lost that special spark of intimacy, it can lead to some irrational thoughts and desperation that has the potential to break your marriage completely. If you’ve been considering an affair, it’s worth taking the time to understand what is making you feel that way in the first place, before you do something drastic.
- Constant Criticism. Stonewalling is bad, but so is the opposite. If you and your spouse always argue and fight, you should both be aware that there’s a certain line at which the constant arguments can wear down your marriage. It’s natural for couples to fight and argue, but it’s not healthy to fight all the time. If you’re afraid to wake up in the morning because you don’t know what’s going to cause your next argument, it might be time to start planning for the worst.
- Hiding Secrets. Being honest with each other is an important part of maintaining a happy and healthy marriage, and hiding secrets from each other – big or small – can cause problems later on down the line. It comes back to proper and effective communication, and whether or not you and your spouse are comfortable enough to share information with each other about your personal lives.
- Contempt and Disgust. Of all the (many) warning signs that a divorce might be coming, feeling contempt or disgust towards your spouse is one of the hardest to come to terms with. For whatever reason, you can’t stand being in the same room as your spouse – or he or she can’t stand being in the same room as you. These deep-seated feelings are difficult to change, and even with proper help there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to patch things up.
Plan Ahead and Contact the Right Lawyer
There are several warning signs that could indicate that your marriage is headed for a divorce, and when you learn to recognize the signs, you’re giving yourself valuable time to plan ahead and plan for the worst. While there are other ways you can patch up your marriage, it’s always good to have a reliable and experienced divorce lawyer on hand who can help you navigate the entire process.
Don’t get caught by surprise. Reach out to a divorce lawyer and learn all you can.