Bringing You Closer Together Through Couples Counseling
Those who are looking to reconnect with their partner may benefit from couples counseling in Potomac, MD with a therapist at Lindsey Hoskins & Associates. We believe in helping our clients reach a more intimate place in their relationship. If you have been having problems with trust, communication, disagreements, or other issues, a therapist at Lindsey Hoskins & Associates can help guide you to a place of harmony. Potomac, MD couples counseling can be of great benefit to both partners.
Many couples may find that at some point in their relationship there is a building tension, distrust, decreased intimacy, or frequent verbal arguments without solution. The signs of relationship distress can include the following:
- Challenges in communicating, understanding and resolution of differences
- Enduring the same relationship argument/scenario over and over again
- Loss of trust foundation due to infidelity, or other behavior
- Feeling hopeless and surmounting stress in the relationship
Key Elements for a Healthy Relationship
In order for a relationship to thrive in a healthy and positive way, there are ingredients to consider that can have a substantial impact on romantic success.
- Identifying Attachment Style: the relationship pattern you develop in early childhood years with your parents or caretakers can set the foundation for adult relationships in the future. These behaviors are often unconscious, but with an increased awareness through Potomac, MD couples counseling, you can develop healthier attachment patterns with your partner.
- Present Moment: by practicing mindfulness of the present moment rather than of past or future concerns, it can help transform relationships and enhance their immediacy and value.
- Realistic Expectations: sometimes we have expectations of our partner that are unrealistic and even harmful if we do not accept our partner for who they really are and not how we imagine they could be.
- Self-Acceptance and Compassion: by being gentle and accepting of ourselves for who we are, it can transfer to the people around us, including our romantic partners.
- Healthy Communication: developing skills for talking with our significant other in a healthy manner, establishing boundaries, and managing emotions.
What to Expect During Your First Session for Couples Counseling in Potomac, MD
To start, a therapist who offers Potomac, MD couples counseling may ask about who you and your partner are as individuals. This is so your therapist can get a sense of how to guide both of you during the therapy sessions. A therapist’s goal with couples counseling in Potomac, MD is not to determine a resolution for you, but to instead help you arrive at a mutual agreement. Therapy can provide a safe, non-judgemental, and neutral space for expression of resentments, emotions, and past hurts that need healing. A therapist can help couples understand each other and overcome painful events in their relationship. Whether the issues have to do with infidelity, mistrust, lack of intimacy and more, a therapist at Lindsey Hoskins & Associates can offer an unbiased yet compassionate ear.
Benefits of Couples Counseling Before Your Wedding
Before saying “I do,” many couples find that one of the best things they can do for their relationship is going to premarital couples counseling Potomac, Maryland residents trust. Is this a preemptive strategy? Are these couples expecting that divorce will be on the horizon and they are trying to fix it before anything happens? Not necessarily. Many couples find that premarital couples counseling is extremely beneficial and helps them grow in their relationship before their wedding day. If you are interested in seeing whether pre-marital counseling is right for you and your partner, please reach out to us for more information. As you both go into the next phase in your relationship, we want to provide you with the information and resources you need to have a successful marriage.
How Pre-Marital Therapy Can Help You Before Your Wedding Day
There are many benefits to premarital couples counseling in Potomac, MD. Below, we have listed some of the ways that it can help you and your partner.
- Talk About the Past. Many couples find that they do not like bringing up issues in the past, whether it is from your own personal relationship, a past romantic relationship, or family issues. However, premarital counseling can give you and your partner a safe space to discuss these problems so that you can both learn to cope. Additionally, your counselor can teach you coping techniques for problems that may arise after you’re married so that you can face your problems head-on.
- Learn to Effectively Communicate. Communication is one of the biggest problems when it comes to any relationship, not just marriage. However, if you do not know how to communicate effectively before your wedding day, you are setting yourself up for potentially years of problems in your marriage. Your counselor can go over hypothetical situations with you and your partner and show you key ways to communicate so that you are prepared before you say “I do.” This can make for a much healthier future marriage.
- Look at Problems. When you and your partner are venue shopping and cake tasting, the last thing you want to be doing is talking about potential problems in your relationship. As you think about the big day, it can feel like the honeymoon phase has already begun. That said, when you attend premarital couples therapy, you can work with your counselor to identify areas in your relationship that may be problematic. Are you a jealous person? Does your partner spend their money unwisely? It may seem counterintuitive to bring up problems before they happen but can be highly effective to have an objective third-party walk you through ways to deal with these problems before they become a deal breaker.
Many couples wait too long to get the help they need when their relationship is on the verge of breaking down. When this happens, you may be setting yourself up for an unhappy marriage or a marriage likely to end in divorce even before your wedding day. This is where couples counseling in Potomac, MD can help.
Couples Counseling Potomac, MD Partners Turn to with Confidence
Contact us to schedule a counseling session with a therapist at Lindsey Hoskins & Associates. We believe in helping couples achieve the longevity they desire. We take pride in assisting our clients during their journey to a renewed sense of joy in their relationship. We hope to hear from you today about Potomac, MD couples counseling.