Family Counseling Bethesda MD
Family therapy is an ideal option for members of a family who want to work on improving their relationships, increasing harmony, and resolving problematic issues. It is uniquely beneficial because it provides all members a chance to voice their thoughts and feelings in a safe and nurturing environment facilitated by a therapist who is specially trained to make sure everyone’s voice and perspective is heard.
For whom is family therapy appropriate?
- Partners or ex-partners
- Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins
- Anyone YOU consider a part of your family
What issues may be addressed in family therapy?
- Improving overall communication, so each person feels heard and understood;
- reuniting after estrangement;
- dealing with transitions to a new stage of life;
- dealing with parenting challenges;
- navigating a separation or divorce;
- coping with the death or illness of a family member;
- accepting and coping with the military deployment of a family member; or
- addressing a recurring problematic issue.
Family therapy usually begins with all members of the household attending the initial session; after that, participants may vary from week to week, and your therapist will help you determine who should attend each session. This is one way in which family therapy differs from individual therapy (where the same person attends all sessions). At times it may be most appropriate to meet only with the parents or children, respectively, while at other times it’s best to meet with the entire family. These decisions will vary from week to week, based on your family’s goals.
Schedule an appointment online for family therapy in Maryland with one of our clinicians or call 240-752-7650.