Couples Therapy Kensington MD
Almost all Maryland couples hit points in their relationship where they both feel as if things aren’t working between them anymore. It may be surprising to someone who is going through this that some of the very same issues you and your partner are struggling with are the same ones other couples also cannot seem to resolve. These issues include finances, children, extended family involvement, and even infidelity. One of the key reasons why couples have a hard time working through these things is lack of communication. Going to couples therapy in Kensington, MD can help overcome that hurdle and get the two of your working together as a team again.
Signs It May Be Time for Couples Therapy
There are several signs that should serve as a red flag that something is wrong and outside help may be needed:
- Arguments and disagreements are occurring more frequently: If you find that your family’s daily routine is being punctuated by arguments, that is an indication that there is something deeper going on. These do not necessarily need to be large blowout fights, but even the small “spats” over what seem like insignificant things that your relationship may be strained. It is often a sign that there are more significant problems than what you two are arguing about that are not being addressed.
- Lack of communication: If one or both partners feels ignored or misunderstood, that is a sign that the couple is not communicating with each other. As mentioned above, one of the key factors in unresolved issues between a couple is there is a lack of communication. Couples therapy in Kensington, MD can teach you and your partner better ways to communicate with each other and ways you can let your partner know you don’t feel they are listening to you or understand what you are saying but doing this in a nonconfrontational manner.
- Unable to share: Sometimes a lack of communication comes down to one partner having something significant to share with the other, but they just don’t know how to do it. Couples therapy can provide a safe place to share these feelings and help the couple navigate through whatever the problem is in a healthy way.
- There is something wrong: Not every couple who decide to go to therapy understand what their issues are. Many couples seek out couples therapy because they feel as if something is off in their relationship, but they just don’t know what that something is. Couples therapy can help you and your partner identify what the issues really are that are causing tension and stress between the two of you, and then help you work those issues out.
- Trust is gone: When the trust between a couple has been breached, it doesn’t have to be the end of the relationship. Whether the issue is infidelity, lying over money, or some other deception, couples therapy can help rebuild the foundation of trust the couple once had.
Contact Lindsey Hoskins & Associates Today
If you’re interested in couples therapy in Kensington, MD, please call our office today for a complimentary phone consultation and find out how we can help.
Couples therapy may be one of the most difficult forms of therapy. Why? You ask. There are a number of reasons that this may be true. Because of this, if you are in the market for a couples therapist, it will be important that you choose Lindsey Hoskins & Associates with many years of experience. Finding an appropriate therapist to conduct couples therapy in Kensington, Maryland will also mean finding a person with training and credentials.
Finding a Therapist
It’s likely that you will have many questions of your therapist and the therapeutic process before beginning. It will be important that you spend time conducting the appropriate research when searching for a therapist. This can occur in a number of ways:
- Word of mouth
- Internet searches
- Do your research about the field. That way, you can ensure that your therapist has the appropriate training to support you.
- Find a therapist who will weather the storm with you
- When you meet with a prospective therapist, assess whether or not you are compatible with them.
By gathering as much information as possible, you can increase your chances that the therapist you choose is a good fit. You will want to get started with couples therapy as soon as possible, by taking the appropriate steps you can prevent having to find a new therapist later down the road.
Common Mistakes Therapists Make
The last thing you want to happen when you are working with a therapist is for them to make clinical mistakes. Despite this, your therapist is human and can make bad calls from time to time. In fact, in some situations, a therapist, especially an inexperienced one, can do far more harm to the relationship. Here are some common mistakes or red flags that a therapist can make in Kensington MD couples therapy:
- One spouse believes that the therapist is siding with the other
- Not listening or paying attention
- Although the therapist may share their opinions, they shouldn’t tell you how you should make decisions surrounding your relationship.
- Loses control of the process
- They break HPPA or confidentiality
- Not having a clear process surrounding the session: allowing couples to interrupt one another, or attack each other
- Making the recommendation that the couple divorce or split up
Even though an experienced couples therapist could possibly make a mistake, there is a difference between this and concerns that your therapist may not have what it takes. If couples therapy doesn’t seem productive or you observe that your therapist is not effectively treating you, it may be a good idea to find a more experienced therapist.
Marital problems can increase your stress levels, in some situations; they can even lead to divorce. Relationship issues can be challenging to deal with, especially if you and your partner have been dealing with them for a number of years without seeking help. Let Lindsey Hoskins & Associates support the two of you in repairing your relationship and giving you the tools you require to resolve conflicts, effectively communicate and rekindle your relationship. Call our office today to begin couples therapy Kensington MD families recommend. The best way to reach us is by calling our office to speak with us.