Couples therapy may be one of the most difficult forms of therapy. Why? You ask. There are a number of reasons that this may be true. Because of this, if you are in the market for a couples therapist, it will be important that you choose Lindsey Hoskins & Associates with many years of experience. Finding an appropriate therapist to conduct couples therapy in Kensington, Maryland will also mean finding a person with training and credentials.
Finding a Therapist
It’s likely that you will have many questions of your therapist and the therapeutic process before beginning. It will be important that you spend time conducting the appropriate research when searching for a therapist. This can occur in a number of ways:
- Word of mouth
- Internet searches
- Do your research about the field. That way, you can ensure that your therapist has the appropriate training to support you.
- Find a therapist who will weather the storm with you
- When you meet with a prospective therapist, assess whether or not you are compatible with them.
By gathering as much information as possible, you can increase your chances that the therapist you choose is a good fit. You will want to get started with couples therapy as soon as possible, by taking the appropriate steps you can prevent having to find a new therapist later down the road.
Common Mistakes Therapists Make
The last thing you want to happen when you are working with a therapist is for them to make clinical mistakes. Despite this, your therapist is human and can make bad calls from time to time. In fact, in some situations a therapist, especially an inexperienced one, can do far more harm to the relationship. Here are some common mistakes or red flags that a therapist can make in Kensington MD couples therapy:
- One spouse believes that the therapist is siding with the other
- Not listening or paying attention
- Although therapist may share their opinions, they shouldn’t tell you how you should make decisions surrounding you relationship.
- Loses control of the process
- They break HPPA or confidentiality
- Not having a clear process surrounding the session: allowing couples to interrupt one another, or attack each other
- Making the recommendation that the couple divorce or split up
Even though an experienced couples therapist could possibly make a mistake, there is a difference between this and concerns that your therapist may not have what it takes. If couples therapy doesn’t seem productive or you observe that your therapist is not effectively treating you, it may be a good idea to find a more experienced therapist.
Martial problems can increase your stress levels, in some situations; they can even lead to divorce. Relationship issues can be challenging to deal with, especially if you and your partner have been dealing with them for a number of years without seeking help. Let Lindsey Hoskins & Associates support the two of you in repairing your relationship and giving you the tools you require to resolve conflicts, effectively communicate and rekindle your relationship. Call our office today to begin couples therapy Kensington MD families recommend. The best way to reach us is by calling our office to speak with us.