If you and your spouse or partner are experiencing problems in your relationship with one another, you might want to Chevy Chase, MD consider couples counseling. Guided by a professionally trained counselor, these sessions offer a safe, confidential, and non judgmental environment to discuss concerns and find solutions to problems. Call Lindsey Hoskins & Associates today for a consultation.
What is Couples Counseling?
Couples counseling in Chevy Chase, MD is considered to be a type of psychotherapy. Through the course of several sessions, the objective is to reduce conflict, upset, and distress by improving the dynamic interactions between the couple. Most counselors prefer to have both participants in the room at the same time. If this is not possible, a counselor may hold sessions separately. Couples counseling is different from individual counseling not by the number of participants, but rather the framework and methodology used. It views issues as patterns or systems that need reworking or readjusting, and generally does not blame a problem on one single person.
Reasons to Seek Couples Counseling
- Communication is no longer effective or stale
- One or both partners are considering having an affair, or has had an affair
- When one partner is acting out on negative feelings
- When sexual activity is no longer desirable
- The couple does not know how to resolve their differences
- At least one person is struggling with a substance use disorder
- One person wants children and the other does not
- The couple has a healthy marriage, but is preparing for something new (i.e. child, move, etc.)
- There has been a major change or disruption in life
- One person has become ill
- A traumatic event has occurred (i.e. death or incarceration)
- Domestic abuse or violence
- Divorce or separation
- Marital conflict
To treat these issues, a couples counselor may:
- Observe how each person acts within the relationship
- Evaluate problems in the relationship and find a way to resolve them
- Guide each person through individual issues
- Highlight behavioral patterns that are unhealthy
- Replace dysfunctional behaviors with those that are conducive to a person’s wellbeing.
A couples counselor will discuss more of how she or he will help you during a consultation.
The Outcomes of Couples Counseling
Positive outcomes of Chevy Chase, MD couples counseling are often noticed after a few sessions. Some of these may include:
- The development of healthy boundaries
- Improved communication
- Better problem solving skills
- Deeper understanding of the dynamics in the relationship
- Increased understanding and empathy
- A reduction in conflict
Chevy Chase, MD Couples counseling sessions can last between 2 and 6 months or more. Sometimes a member might also be participating in individual counseling or other forms of therapy to address personal problems. This can be beneficial when other factors such as depression, PTSD, and mental health disorders are involved. Each counselor will incorporate their own skills and methodologies into sessions. Before you schedule an appointment with a couples counselor it is recommended to schedule a consultation so that you can get a feel for how he or she works. If you would like to speak with a counselor about couples counseling in Chevy Chase, MD, please call Lindsey Hoskins & Associates today.