How Personal Injury Lawsuits Can Affect Your Relationship
Litigating a personal injury case, as well as dealing with the injury itself, can cause stress in many areas of the victim’s life. Pursuing a lawsuit against the liable party to get compensation for the serious injuries they caused can be a difficult process. There are state and federal laws to consider, procedural protocols to follow, and other concerns.
Additionally, a concern that most victims don’t consider is how a personal injury claim might affect their personal relationships. You may be the one who suffered an accident, but the consequences tend to spill over to other people in your life. In what ways can a relationship be negatively affected during the personal injury lawsuit? Here are several of the most common issues that arise. Hopefully you can avoid them by being aware of their potential to wreak havoc.
Time and Energy Away from Family
Fighting through a personal injury claim demands a high degree of focus and attention to your case. In the process, the victim will learn details of laws and legalities particular to their personal injury case.
- The victim, or plaintiff, will have to meet various legal deadlines.
- A compensation suit also requires the plaintiff to provide evidence if there is a claim of negligence. To meet the burden of proof, this may require some effort and time which may take you away from your family.
- Having an attorney who can handle the vital components of a case means that you don’t have to dedicate all your energy to it.
Conflict and Disagreements
The decision on whether or not to file a personal injury lawsuit may involve one’s spouse and children.
- When decisions have to be made by committee, it can be hard to come to an agreement.
- Arguing whether you should sue for emotional damages or accept the settlement amount offered can take a toll on your family.
- A personal injury attorney can provide legal guidance when making important decisions such as whether or not to settle.
In a personal injury suit, the defendants legal counsel will make every effort to discredit the plaintiff. Their goal is to invalidate a claim no matter how ridiculous their argument.
- Their investigator will examine every area of your life they can access and as a result may dredge up things that you didn’t even know could be used against you.
- Their investigator may discover information that might cost you more than your claim is worth. This information may cause issues that strain your marriage or personal relationships.
- The defendant’s investigation may cause you professional turmoil as well.
- A skilled Las Vegas personal injury lawyer can help protect your privacy and legal rights.
Dealing with insurance adjusters, investigators, and other specialists may be intimidating, to say the least.
- Depending on the severity of a case, you may have to provide a deposition.
- When a large claim is involved, many insurance companies will use every tactic at their disposal, which may be legal but not moral or ethical. Their methods can cause a great deal of emotional stress.
- A personal injury lawyer can provide you with legal advice, insight, and information about your case throughout the process. Having an experienced attorney by your side can dramatically reduce your stress and anxiety.
Thanks to our friends from Nadia von Magdenko & Associates for their added insight into the effects of personal injury cases on relationships.